Wednesday, August 17, 2011

But We NEED It

The other day I found myself explaining to Ryan why we were adding pots, pans, all manner of kitchen gadgetry, and other things that we might already have as a couple, each own individually, or he has gotten along without just fine for the past 29 years, to our registry.  Obviously, it's because we need these items for our kitchen that we will have in our home when we move in together.  The conversation went something like this:

Me:  Do you have a preference on pots and pans?
Ryan:  Don't we have pots and pans?
Me:  Yes, but do you have a preference on the ones we're going to register for?
Ryan:  Why are we registering for them if we already have them?  Between the two of us, we could probably open a restaurant with the kitchen we have.
Me:  Well, yes, but we're registering for a nice matching set that we'll have for roughly forever.  These are the pots and pans that are meant to last us 20 years, not the ones we have bought ourselves that are not quite as nice and have some scratches and some of them might be starting to lose their non-stick coating.  We're talking ALL-CLAD and CALAPHON here.
Ryan:  But between the two of us, I'm sure we have a full set that we can still use.
Me:  We're getting married and we need to accept that people will give us presents, so we have two options - we can register for a variety of things we like and will use for a very long time, or we can not register and get things like crystal candy bowls that we do not want and will not use.
Ryan:  Pick whatever you want.  I don't think I'm going to understand this whole registering thing.

Before I continue, let me just apologize to those of you that were offended by my crystal candy bowl remark.  I do not hate them.  We have a lot of knick knacks and I try not to keep candy in the house.  Therefore, a crystal candy bowl will clutter up the house and simply collect dust.  Those of you that will use them should definitely have them.  Glad that's out of the way. 

The conversation about pots and pans (which happened in several variations more times than I care to admit), which left both of us shaking our heads, highlights so many of the things I love about Ryan.  As he pointed out last night, he just isn't a wasteful person.  We have pots and pans that work - why would we get new ones?  This is a great trait when it comes to using what you have and I love that he isn't throwing things out left and right, but we can take them to Goodwill or give them to my little brothers or sisters when they move into the first place they need to supply, just like people gave Ryan and I things when we first moved out on our own.  Ryan is also, um, shall we say...frugal.  He doesn't use the niceties and would probably just tell you that he's cheap, but I prefer words like frugal, budget conscious, and saving for our future.  There are absolutely things he will not hesitate to spend money on, like my engagement ring or a new camera, but he's not stupid about it, he got my ring from a wholesaler who is a friend of his family's and his new camera on Amazon after he did some price comparisons.  Because of this, we will probably not have a panic attack about how much we've saved for retirement when we turn 50 and can have our student loans paid off earlier than many of our counterparts, especially if he's able to reign me in a little :).  And most importantly, it reminded me that when he realizes resistance is futile, he should smile, nod, shake his head a little if necessary, and just let me go on my merry little way.  He is certainly not a pushover but at the end of the day, this wasn't worth an argument and he doesn't care about the pots and pans so rather than continue to even discuss it, he just gave in and told me he'll love whatever I pick out.

His one condition for my registry gun slinging spree?  That I actually cook at some point in time.  Fine, I'll do it.  I'll probably even like it.  I may even cook meat.  After all, we are registering for french ovens (way fancier than the dutch kind) and such.

And so, some online shopping I will do.  Good, solid roasting pan?  Yes!  What did you say about me being a vegetarian?  Yes, well, we'll host Thanksgiving dinner eventually and I'm going to make the best, most moist turkey ever, even if I won't be eating any of it.  Immersion blender, standing mixer, measuring cups, mixing bowls, everyday dishes, casual entertaining dishes, measuring spoon, baking pans, muffin tins...

Okay, fine, I might have gotten a little out of control.  I may have even deleted roughly half of what we registered for because I needed to think about it and talk things over with Ryan.  There's a temporary hiatus on registering.  Ryan needs a breather, I need to do some research and read reviews, and I think we need a plan of action before I'm turned loose with the scanning gun or clicking happily on the internet.
But that won't stop me from drooling over all the things Le Creuset makes.  What!?!?!?  He said I could pick out whatever I want, thankyouverymuch.  Besides, we NEED it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment