Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Eternal Optimist?

Somewhere, way deep inside, there's an optimist that's been fighting to break free.  She wants to say things like "today is a great day because I'm alive" and believes the people on the side of the road asking for money are really down on their luck and just need a little help for a few weeks so they can pick themselves up.  The optimist really, really wants to give people the benefit of the doubt.  At least, that is, until she sees something like a man who has been on the side of the road with a cardboard sign walk through the Wal-Mart grocery store's parking lot, put his cardboard sign behind a garbage can, and walk into, wait for it...the liquor store.  Yes, you read that correctly, the man was walking through the GROCERY store parking lot and he walked into the LIQUOR store.

I know, I know, alcoholism is a disease and it's very sad that a man who was probably in his 20s spent his day begging for money so he can get something to drink, but it's hard for me to believe the people that really are down on their luck and going to spend my hard earned money on food or a place to sleep.  But isn't that just another reason I shouldn't give a person asking for money the means to help feed their addiction?  Aren't I just an enabler if I give them money?

We've all heard stories about the friend who gave someone groceries instead of money and the groceries were refused because cash is what the man in the Publix parking lot was really after.  Or, another one of my favorites, is the time I was feeling some guilt over not giving a man money (who, by the way, was on another corner from where I was and I couldn't physically give him the money) when he got in his car and, with his reflective vest still on, cut me off several miles down the road while he was drinking a beer.  Drinking and driving - that's a great thing to support.  And so, I ask, am I terrible person for refusing to give people money anymore? 

I always wanted to be the Good Samaritan but I'm beginning to feel a bit more like one of the first two that passed the traveler without giving him another thought.  But sometimes I hear a little voice inside, telling me things will get better, and the people that ruin it for everyone else are a small portion of the population.  Maybe the optimist has a chance after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment