Wednesday, September 21, 2011

91 degrees

In case you're wondering how hot it is in Tampa today, the answer is 91.  Yes, it is late September, and it is 91 degrees outside.  This is impressive considering when I looked up the weather, it said the hi for today is 89.  It's also sunny and gorgeous out, but I'm stuck in my office and far from able to really enjoy the day.  I did get to take Isabella out to play fetch but the beautiful weather is even less enjoyable when you're in close toed shoes, black pants, a cardigan, and a tank top.  With all those layers on, I only lasted about 10 minutes and then rushed inside before my face melted off.  You're probably thinking that's a lot of clothing to be wearing in what must be the middle of summer, but I don't have much of a choice unless I want to wear a parka in my office, which is kept at a ridiculously chilly 72.  No joke, my engagement right is about two sizes too big when I'm at my desk and I routinely put my heater on my desk, pointed in the direction of my very chilly fingers.

At times like these, I like to remember the Blizzard of '96.  We were in Virginia and the news was a constant loop of weather reports, discussions of cabin fever, and warnings that traffic was either non-existent because the roads had not yet been cleared or backed up for days because of the weather related accidents.  Right then and there I swore I would never move so far north as long as I could help it.  I was 12 and miserable. 

In about 3-4 months, when all my friends that don't live down here are miserable, I will relish the fact I can run outside in jeans and maybe a light sweater.  Then I will remember why I live in Florida.  But right now, J.Crew is just adding insult to injury with its emails about big discounts on sweaters.  Justifying the purchase of a big, soft, and absolutely delightful sweater is a little hard right now.  Maybe I'll be able to talk myself into it when it starts snowing in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment