Saturday, September 24, 2011

Detoxing My Life

Earlier this month, I signed up with my co-worker's trainer, Kara.  Two days my new workout buddy Jess and I pay to have Kara torture us.  Along with kicking my booty, Kara gives me looks when I bring in my ever so slightly tinted water, and judges.  She's not judging from a bad place, she is wondering what I have in my water, why it's in there, and why I can't just drink plain old water, or at least water without any artificial sweeteners in it.  That slight tint to my water is the single packet of lemonade flavoring I use, but it's made with real sugar and I only use one packet in my 1.5 L bottle (each packet says it's for 16 oz.) and I normally fill it back to the top when I get halfway so I don't feel so bad about it.  Unfortunately, this was the beginning of the end for almost all of my favorite foods.

Kara and I began talking about all things I'm supposed to eat (or, perhaps more accurately, not eat) and why I'm supposed to eat them.  Eventually, she sent me a packet.  Not just any packet, the packet of evil.  It encourages me to eat whole foods and eliminate almost every food that brings joy to my life, including caffeine, cheese, and artificial sweeteners--not that artificial sweeteners actually bring me joy but avoiding the feeling of sugar on me teeth does  For 30 days I am supposed to completely avoid all of these things I love.  30 days of no bread, alcohol, or gluten.  Then, for 60 days, I am allowed to add in each of the forbidden fruits foods I have eliminated one at a time, and see how my body reacts.  The idea is I will break myself of the habit of eating all those things I'm not supposed to eat and other foods I will choose not to eat because of the way I feel when I re-introduce them to my diet.  Doesn't that sound like super fun?

It may not be fun but I'm going to do it, or at least a modified version of it, anyway.  Time to remove the toxins from my diet and see how it affects me.  People who have done it swear I will have more energy, I will feel better, and my body will change rapidly as I rid it of the processed foods it has been clinging to.  I like that this "detox" isn't one of those crazy juice fasts that pretends I'll be full and won't want to actually put food in my mouth and chew it.  This involves me eating real food and doesn't necessarily limit the amount I can eat (even though I'm really only supposed to eat 3-4 oz. of protein per meal, one serving of carb, one serving of fruit/vegetable, and if I want more, I can go back for more vegetables).  The hardest part, aside from not having any caffeine or dairy, is going to be eating whole foods, which means I won't be pulling something out of the freezer and tossing it in the microwave.  I'm going to have to go to the grocery store, buy fresh foods, prepare meals, and take them with me to work and school.

This new motivation to alter my eating habits has also caused me to want to remove some of the other toxins in my life.  In particular, I'm trying to let go of some of the stress, the things I cannot control, and the mess in my house.  I've already started throwing out the clothing I will never fit into again (my torso isn't getting any shorter and shirts don't get longer), or haven't worn in year, pitching junk I keep thinking I might use one day or I seem to have some inexplicable sentimental attachment to, and Ryan has been helping me get rid of old textbooks and study aids.  I feel better about it already. 

The best part about posting I'm going to at least work on eliminating some of those foods from my diet, is now there's some accountability.  I'll be able to post delicious new recipes I've tried (at least I'm hoping they're delicious) and tips and tricks I discover about eating whole food, without going broke, when I have no time.  Anyone else want to join me?  Come on, you know you don't really want to eat any of the foods you love the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment