Sunday, October 30, 2011

But I'm Right, Really I Am

Have you ever fallen victim to the overwhelming need to be right?  I have, just about every day of my life.  If I'm wrong about something, I'm quick to admit it, but when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm right, I often feel compelled to prove it to myself.  Sometimes I'll look something up after someone dared to disagree with me, just so I can confirm that I was in fact right. 

This is not a good trait when it comes to relationships.  Sure, it's great for a lawyer to speak to opposing counsel with a certain amount of confidence, but you certainly don't need to arm yourself with some sort of secret knowledge around your friends and family.  Nobody wants to feel like everything is some sort of a competition, especially when it's not, and I don't intend for it to be.  I just want everyone to have the right information.

While I normally never bring the subject up again, recently I have caught myself sharing my wealth of information with others.  Someone might have gotten an email the other night with three different links showing you write 2012 "two thousand and twelve" not "two thousand twelve" on a wedding invitation.  Then I had to delete the "I'm not crazy for thinking nicknames don't belong on wedding invitations" email before I hit send.  Someone made the mistake of bringing up the 2012 issue with me in person.  Caught off-guard and feeling defensive, I blurted out, "I have cites, I can show you that it's right.  I did not make it up."  I'm not so good at biting my tongue when I'm surprised.  Luckily, I don't think anyone was offended, especially since at least one person in the group was revisiting an issue I thought was discussed and dealt with. 

I'll be working on biting my tongue in the future, but sometimes I can't help it, especially when I'm right!

No comments:

Post a Comment