Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The New and Improved Breakfast of Champions

Gone are the days of my breakfast consisting of an ice cold Diet Dew.  Instead, I've replaced my highly caffeinated, artificially sweetened and colored beverage of choice with steel cut oats.  I know, it doesn't sound nearly as appetizing, but it's so delicious.  The quick cooking kind are perfect for someone on the go and usually a few minutes behind schedule.  I put a cup of water on to boil, add a 1/2 cup of oats, reduce the heat, stir for a minute, turn the stove off, and leave the oats there while I finish getting ready.   Right before I sprint out of the house to my car, I add about a tablespoon of almond butter, a hint of agave nectar for sweetness, some honey for flavor (just a tiny bit), and sprinkle with cinammon.  I'm lucky to have about a 6 minute drive to work in the morning so I take my coffe cup of oats into the office with me, and eat it at my desk while catching up on my morning emails.  The oats normally keep me satisfied until at least 12 and sometimes 1.  Not half bad.  And the best part is they're detox friendly.  I still crave the Dew from time to time but I haven't had one of those in weeks.  You should probably avoid me if I ever have one again.  Something tells me I'll be bouncing off the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment