Thursday, October 27, 2011

Super Secret Single Habits

I have some habits that others may find strange.  Most of these, however, are hidden from the world and can only be observed when I'm alone in my apartment.  Then there are those that aren't so secret, like my aversion to putting away clean clothes.  I know, it makes no sense, but I'll drape them over the back of a dining room chair when I pull them out of the dryer, they eventually make it to the bedroom, and then I often spent a week shifting the pile of clean clothes from the bed to the nightstand, and back again.  Luckily Ryan doesn't live with me so the clothes taking up about half of the bed isn't such a problem.  When I had my first apartment by myself, after a long day, I would sometimes pour myself a bourbon on the rocks (note, I would have A bourbon, not 12, and it wasn't every night) and sit on my porch to wind down before scrounging up some dinner.

None of super secret (or not so secret) single habits involve smoking.  So you can imagine my surprise when I came home to find this: 



The package of cigarettes was on the floor and the rag, which was definitely not mine, was on my kitchen island. The good news is, I'm not dramatic and I have absolutely no imagination, so it's not like I immediately began to wonder if someone was in my apartment or if I had a stalker who had broken in while I was at work.  Such thoughts never occurred to me.  No, I had called maintenance to fix a handle on my kitchen cabinets and fix one of my counters.  Maintenance was nice enough to leave me a couple of presents.  As I'm sure you can imagine, I was not too happy.  Luckily, the package was closed and there weren't any cigarettes left, meaning there's a good chance Isabella won't be waking me up in the middle of the night when she goes theough withdrawal and needs a nicotine fix.

Here's what I really want to know:  1) why would you KEEP an empty packet of cigarettes, 2) how do you not notice something like that falling out of your pocket or 3) why would you be pulling a package of cigarettes out while you're in my apartment, and 4) didn't your mother teach you to clean up after yourself?

My mother taught me to clean up after myself but, well, I'm single, I live alone, and you can't make me!

No comments:

Post a Comment