Monday, January 16, 2012

The Bard

Did anyone else have to try and read Shakespeare in high school?  I remember it being somewhat difficult, but manageable, to read plays like Romeo & Juliet.  In fact, I was almost excited when I learned we would be reading Measure for Measure for my Law, Lit, & Film class.  Then, I started to actually read it.

Getting through a single line was worse than any procedure I've ever had at the dentist.  That coming from a girl who has had no less than five root canals, and even insisted on having two in one day.  It took me hours to get through Act I, Scene I, thought that may have been because I wound up staring at the pages, thinking about things I needed to do rather than actually reading. 

Finally, I gave up.  I decided I just couldn't do it and really understand the play, so I would go to the store and get the version that has the old English on one side, the modern translation on the other.  Barnes & Noble must have had all of Shakespeare's plays but that one in the "Shakespeare lite" format.  Desperate, I looked at the SparkNotes.  Foiled again.  I dreaded going home and having to translate using the footnotes and read everything 12 times so I understand the words, pay attention to who is saying what, and then putting the words into full sentences in my head so I could actually comprehend what was going on.  I am convinced the teacher picked this particular play not because it has the most to do with the law, but because it's the one all the cheats haven't been created for. 

On my way out the door, the salesperson at Barnes & Noble ran after me to tell me he had found the SparkNotes online and I could view it for free.  VICTORY!  Back at the office, I quickly looked up the site and sent it to myself so I would have it handy when I got home.  So, instead of actually reading the play I'm supposed to read for class, I have become a cheater.  Yes, that's right, I'm a law student who can't be bothered to actually read the book assigned for class, and it's not even legal reading.  I remember shaking my head (on the inside of course) at all those people who read the Cliffs Notes version of a book instead of reading the actual book that was assigned in high school.  Now, I'm one of those people.

Sigh.

The worst part is, I know I'll still go back and read the damn play. . . as soon as I finish reading the summary.

No comments:

Post a Comment