Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Best. Grilled Cheese. Ever.

On a trip to Crate & Barrel to look at everyday drinking glasses for our registry, Ryan and I found this little bit of deliciousness:

Ideal for grilled cheese, you say?  I was intrigued and obsessed even though I had not even tried it yet.  "We're getting this," I declared.  "I must have it.  It's not a want, it's a NEED."  Ryan, ever the good sport, agreed it would probably be very tasty and I should get some if I wanted it.  Then, proving he's worthy of my love, he suggested we go to Greenwise (the fancy Publix full of organic and fancy tastiness) and pick up a small thing of bread and a few slices of cheese.  Further proof we're meant to be together forever?  We both were thinking Havarti cheese would be best, even before we talked about it.  Oh, and we both thought goat cheese would also be tasty and maybe we should get some of that too.  

I was supposed to study Sunday night.  Instead, we quickly went to the checkout at Crate & Barrel, purchased my small jar of happiness, and went to Greenwise for supplies.  In what is actually a rare occurrence, we were on exactly the same page when it came to food, and we quickly settled on sourdough bread, hit the deli counter, and perused the aisles for other treats.  Ryan likes to call himself a carnivore, though he's clearly an omnivore.  That I am a vegetarian is still beyond his understanding, which leads to much of our food debates.  Soon we were off to the apartment so I could cook up our gourmet meal.
And gourmet it was.  Golden brown buttered sourdough bread, perfectly melted creamy Havarti cheese, and the Fig & Balsamic Magic Spread.  Mmmmmmm.  Next up, was the goat cheese version.  I might have gone a little heavy on the goat cheese, which almost overpowered the spread, but it was still soooooo delicious.  I had half of each sandwich on my plate and went back and forth trying to decide which was better.  Then, Ryan wanted more.  I made him another sandwich, this one with ham, goat cheese, and the Magic Spread.  He only wanted half a sandwich, so of course I had to make another one for myself.

They may have been the most expensive grilled cheese sandwiches either of us had ever made, but they were incredible and worth every penny.  They may have also put both of us over our ideal caloric intake considering the wedding is so close, but I don't care.  I had a protein shake for lunch so I at least started my day off right.

Also, sorry there aren't any pictures of our tasty treats, but we gobbled them up so fast, there was no time for pictures.  I'm sure I'll make them again soon, and will edit this post to include pictures at that time.  You just can't expect a grilled cheese to last long if you put it in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment