Monday, January 30, 2012

Things That Keep Me Up At Night

Last night, while I was reading for school on the couch and my father was in the recliner, he announced he was heading to bed.  I asked what time it was, and he practically jumped out of his chair as he realized it was 12:20.  A few minutes later, from down the hall, he suggested I go to bed too.  Gee, thanks, Dad.  Way to make me feel like I'm in high school again.  Oh, the joys of moving home when you're 28.

Seriously though, I told him I'd be going to bed soon.  And I did.  Then I wound up laying in my bed, ridiculously tired, but unable to sleep.  Sometime after 1:15, I drifted off. 

The next time I looked a the clock, it was just after 3.  Apparently, my body forgot that I have a sleep
disorder and I was wide awake.  At 3 am, with barely two hours of sleep, my body, which normally craves at least 10 hours of sleep, thought it was time to be awake.  What, you might ask, was I thinking about?  The first thought I remember, other than "oh dear goodness, it's only 3," was about the china coffee server I added to our registry last night. 

Yes, I was laying in bed, unable to fall back asleep, because I was debating whether to keep a china coffee server on our registry and if so, if the pattern I picked really is the closest match to my grandmother's china.  Apparently, my grandmother,who had 24 place settings and two of every serving dish, didn't have a china coffee server.  How did she serve coffee to her guests?  Did I mention that in addition to the 24 place settings, she had another set of really fabulous cups and fancy saucers that look like artist palettes?  Perfect for a sandwich or light snack at an afternoon tea. 

After I concluded the coffee server debate, I started thinking about what to hang on the walls of the apartment and where everything should go.  We have vaulted ceilings with a fireplace that's positioned where the ceiling comes to a point so it's a lot of space to think about.  Also, I think we really should add some peonies into the flowers at the reception.  They really would look lovely.

Serious world problems, y'all, very serious.

I recognize the insanity of not sleeping because you're thinking about wedding flowers and china coffee servers, but it's probably not going to stop me from thinking about them.  Even if I could stop thinking about them while I was awake, I would probably have nightmares in which giant coffee servers were chasing me down or I was surrounded by clashing china.  Great, I think just set myself up for another sleepless night...  Maybe I'll watch the news or some sobering documentary.  I'll probably sleep like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment