Friday, January 27, 2012

Negativity

Let me tell you how much I love political ad season.  I don't.

I don't want to get into the actual politics, and I'm not choosing sides, but it seems the ads have taken a turn for the negative, and I'm not a fan.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact Florida's Reublican primary is technically about to take place (we have weeks of early voting and vote-by-mail options so really, voting has been going on for quite some time), or maybe it's just"that time" in the campaign, but I wish it would stop.  I was about to vote for Romney based solely on the fact he had all kinds of positive ads on.  Pretty much, they all said nice things about him, and he always approved the mesage.  Now, it's a mess of Newt v. Romney and Romney v. Newt.  Most of the ads aren't approved by either candidate, but when one of them comes in at the end of the ad and gives his approval, I want to yell, "well you shouldn't have, you idiot."
Surely there's a way for everyone to get their points across without bashing the other candidates.  I'm not talking about something like "so and so has a more consistent record on such and such" or similar messages.  I'm talking about the ones where the candidates practically accuse each other of eating babies.  I mean, seriously now people.

There's enough garbage out there already.  Do we really need one of the two final candidates for president smeared?  Does he really need to attack his opponents?  I fail to see how this is good for our country.  And it's not just the Republicans.  The Democrats are equally guilty.  This year the difference is they's not duking it out in the primaries and turning on each other Lord of the Flies style.

In sum, I think I'll be voting for the next person that puts out something positive.  I'll be giving the candidates with negative ads demarits and the ones with positive ads gold stars.  Yes, that's my highly sophisticated, well-informed, very intelligent voting plan.  If they want to act like they're in elementary school and call each other names, I'm happy to treat them like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment